Things and stuff about a couple of fiend'ancés planning a wedding.

Mar 11, 2010

{Finding} a photographer

Ash covered a lot in her last post about finding our photographer, but I just wanted to add a few bits of my own on this topic of interest.

As Ash mentioned, I LOVE photography. I bought my first SLR in 2001 and continued to shoot on my own through college where I studied under photographer Arno Rafael Minkkinen. Arno had a way of inspiring rather than strictly teaching, and I left the class with a much deeper appreciation for the medium.

Needless to say, I knew the task of hiring a photographer to document our wedding was going to be a challenge – not only because it's something that I deeply value, but because Ash and I are a bit limited in our budget. To those who are considering how to fit a photographer into their wedding budget, consider reading this article.

Tanya Lacourse: www.violetmarsh.com

I started by contacting people in my social circle to see if they had any suggestions. Two close friends had siblings who were photographers, so that was a great start, but there was no way I could make a decision knowing that a sampled the whole landscape of options. I liked both of their work, but I knew that I'd find myself questioning my decision unless I really compared them to other photographers out there.

It wasn't until I posted on an employee exchange forum at work, that the leads really started to come in. At this point I tapped into google-docs and started a spreadsheet to keep track of all the names, websites, prices, and other info like how good I thought their work was, what kind of coverage they provided, who referred me, and whether/how I contacted them. This was super helpful when I started contacting people for quotes etc so I could keep track of all the info, and make sure I didn't leave anyone hanging.

Krista Guenin: www.kristaphoto.com

I drafted a template email that I'd send to everyone whose work warranted interest, making sure to mention who referred me or how I found them. What I found helpful was to make a list of the top 3 must-have expectations I had in a photographer, and include them in the email:
  1. Someone with experience and a strong eye for the aesthetic
  2. Someone who will provide me with all full-res digital images
  3. Someone who would work with a backup who would be able to shoot the groom & groomsmen before the ceremony.
I laid out the basics of our wedding: where, when, how many people and wedding party size, and asked if I could get an idea of the price.


There were some who responded with quotes way out of our price range, but I still strongly suggest to other people not to simply thank these people and move on. If you really LOVE a photographer's work, let them know. Give them a bottom line for your budget, and ask if there is any way they could customize their services to your needs. Remember, if your wedding isn't on a Saturday, you're sure to have more bargaining power. Lastly, consider bartering services. If you're a web designer and their website sucks – point them to your portfolio, if you're a skydiving instructor – offer a free jump... anything! If I could, I would barter for everything I buy because it usually turns out to be a good deal for both parties, and you don't get taxed!

Ash and I narrowed it down to two photographers, both of which we got along with very well when we met in person. This definitely made the decision a bit more difficult because it was hard to imagine letting one of them down.

Shyla Dalirifar: www.shylaphotography.com

In the end, we went with Shyla. Her work is exactly what we were looking for, and Ash and I really clicked with her personality. She's very young at heart and that really makes it easy for us to be ourselves around her and have fun. It would have been pretty difficult to hire someone who's work we loved, but who's personality we didn't.

So, to everyone who is coming to our wedding, make sure you strike a pose for Shyla.  I guarantee she'll make it look good.

No comments:

Post a Comment