Things and stuff about a couple of fiend'ancés planning a wedding.

Feb 4, 2010

Barns = Romantic

barns = romantic

Ashley:

I can't pinpoint when my fascination / love for barns began....I wish I could! I do, however, remember when the movie "Lassie" came out (1994) and I was semi-jealous that the city-boy moved with his family to "the country" (who knows which ONE...). He had a farm. With chickens. And a barn with a loft. And his faithful companion Lassie, of course. And I remember wanting a piece of that; it was a lifestyle I couldn't very well have growing up in East County San Diego, so it was foreign but oh-so-cool. 

So perhaps it was then, at the tender age of 10, when I first began admiring farms and barns and wondered what it would be like to move to a more rural area... Raising sheep and collecting eggs from the chicken coop seemed like they'd be fun, and taking a long bus ride to school after milking the cow in the early morning was something I couldn't relate to in the slightest (shoot, I didn't ever ride a bus until I went off to Santa Cruz for college!). ;o) 

While I never did get the opporunity to grow up and work on a family farm (I don't think I would have survived to be completely honest), I did participate in activities that I deem "rustic" and "country":  picking blackberries and fishing for crawdads in my gramma and papa's back yard with my brother; picking strawberries at my mom's aunt's house up in Idaho; fishing at the Santee Lakes or at any river we happened to pass while on a family vacation; camping up in Yosemite every spring...

Reasons why I have fallen in love with barns:
* Gambrel roof: It is just so "barn," and anytime you see a gambrel on a house you can't help but think "barn!" Granted, not all barns have the gambrel roof style, but it's a feature that can't be ignored.
* Wood: I love wood, and I especially love structures made of wood---they just scream "rustic." Wood is a natural material and anything constructed purely of wood has to be admired and considered something of an art. I dig the look of wood siding on a home...probably because it reminds me of a barn...and when the wood weathers, it looks even cooler than it originally did!
* Scenery: Barns aren't typically found (if ever) amongst skyscrapers and super-mod color palettes. Barns are rustic, commonly found amidst fields of gold (ooh I love that song!), green grass, chestnut mountains, and wide blue skies. A barn standing solo in the countryside contributes to the landscape...and makes for the perfect postcard! I love how eye-catching a red barn with white details can be, and yet I also hold a strong appreciation for the poor dilapidated barns that haven't seen a fresh coat of paint since the early 1900's. It's hard for me to explain because I lack the vocab, but whenever I look at pictures of barns or drive by one on the road, my heart feels light; I can't help but smile and I get a feeling of old romance dancing about my insides. :o)
* History: Some barns are so old that it's a miracle they are still standing----so awesome!! Talk about sturdy structure and outstanding craftsmen (I've heard the Amish hold the title for being the best). Going along with old age is a back story, and it is amazing to learn about what certain barns were used for, owned by, or transformed into. 

SO! I guess it goes without saying that I am MORE than pumped about having our wedding reception in a barn. I remember driving up to The Brass Heart Inn in Chocorua, New Hampshire on December 3rd and feeling a wave of joy wash over me. Then I stepped foot on the property and didn't know what to do first---run around in the open field screaming, "WE FOUND IT! THIS IS THE PLACE!" Or explore the inside of the barn?! Or just stand there and cry tears of sheer joy (which I nearly did after we'd been there for 2 hours talking and exploring with Sheena, the fabulous event coordinator). 

The inn is adorable and very photogenic, and there are 23 acres of gorgeous grounds for romping about and taking in the clean mountain air (while taking spectacular photographs, of course!). But it was walking into the barn that took my breath away.  I was able to envision our wedding reception while in there, and I must admit that the little film I had playing in my head was pretty amazing. It was just everything I was hoping for and it was surreal to have finally found it. 

The thing I appreciate the most about the inside of the barn: there is so little that needs to be done when it comes to decorations because it is already so awesome! Wooden walls and beams are just naturally beautiful, that's all there is to it. There are already little white Christmas lights strewn along the beams, and Sheena invited to bring more if we so desire. Other than that, and maybe white Chinese paper lanterns, there is nothing that needs to be done! How awesome is it that I don't have to work around funk 90's wall paper....or ridiculous Roman columns...or window treatments in a horrendous shade of mauve. There was no way we were gonna have our reception at a country club or hotel ball room---it's just not our bag, baby. By having our special "party of the century" in a restored 19th century barn, we get to bring in our desired amount of color with gerbera daisies and other props, and with our summer'y attire too! And then everything will have a romantic glow thanks to the white twinkly lights. Without the barn, our  "rustic elegance" vibe---a mix of old and modern---wouldn't be nearly as magnificent. I couldn't be more pleased with our location.

Oh yeah---and did I mention that I love barns??  ;o) 

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! Oh fiend! I love how you cited two forms of berry pickin', and two forms of fishin' as your "country" activities. This summer, you and I are gonna go skip rocks, catch frogs and salamanders, and knock over old, dead trees in the woods! We could even go swimming in the *gulp* swamp behind our house.

    ReplyDelete