Things and stuff about a couple of fiend'ancés planning a wedding.

Feb 5, 2010

Have your just desserts....

Adam and I haven't made a concrete decision in regards to the cake / dessert issue. We know we "need" a cake to cut because, well, tradition says so...and Adam's aunt makes cakes for a living, so she's already offered to make ours....and it would probably disappoint many a'family member and guest if we didn't have a cake.....

SO! 

Cake it is...but a *small* cake, please. Nothin' super-duper fancy with 50 tiers and pounds of frosting (bleh---I hate cake frosting). Adam and I aren't big cake-fans to begin with....but maybe we can do what our newlywed friends did and have a tasty chocolate-peanut butter cake---yummmm!! If it's got peanut butter in it, I'll eat it. 

So, because we don't want a giant cake, we are of course considering the option of having lil' cupcakes as dessert for our guests. It's not that we're trying to avoid a cake-cutting fee (because there isn't one at our fabulous venue to begin with!)----we just don't care to have a GIANT FLIPPIN' CAKE! Besides, cupcakes are cute, fun, inexpensive, and in my opinion no one NEEDS a heaping slice of cake, ever. Cupcakes are the perfect size to satisfy any sweet tooth. If we decide to go with the cupcake option, I've had the crazy daydream of making 'em myself (with the help of my bridesmaids of course!) because it'd be kinda fun to slave over the oven for a day, baking and decorating...all the while drinking wine, of course. There are a few daunting factors that come into play, however: 
a) I don't enjoy cooking or baking because I'm afraid I'll mess it up and possibly poison the people I love
b) That's gonna be a LOT of cupcakes....like, 150'ish if everybody we invite RSVP's with a "Heck yes!" 
c) If we were to make them 2 days before the wedding, would they keep well?

There are *so* many cupcake ideas out there....as well as cupcake tree designs! NOTE: I didn't know they were called "cupcake trees" until recently; I called it a tower ("pffft! a 'tower?!' what a dumb bride-to be, doesn't even know what that thing is called").  ;o)  I like the one to the right (------>) because it's rustic and looks hand-made; definitely something my dad could whip out in about 20 minutes! It would be rustic and obviously fitting for our venue, but also something I would keep and treasure as another awesome thing my dad has made for us. This particular design is cute, too, because it's modest----not some giant Christmas-tree sized tower o' cupcakes. Why not just have a fraction of the cupcakes out for display, and the rest "behind-the-scenes" in the kitchen...? Unless there's not enough room for 100 cupcakes in the kitchen, I would prefer not to have all 150+ cupcakes out and about 'cuz that would require a large-and-in-charge cupcake tree, by golly!!

The lil' birds on top of these cupcakes were handmade by a bride and her maid of honor and I think they are just so cute! They're made of felt and have simple stitching, and can basically be made in any color you so desire. Sewing felt is no problem, though this would be a time consuming and tedious---no one ever said being a DIY bride was an easy task! "Birds" as a theme has really grown in popularity over the past few years, and while I'm not one for being cliche, I do enjoy how these little birds  embody the simple country / indie wedding vibe. We obviously won't be going with "birds" as our entire wedding theme, though birds ARE a part of nature and we DO have an old fashioned birdcage as our card holder, so I see no problem with incorporating some birdies here and there... 

The next topper options I find hilarious and just as creative: ------>
The bride who employed this idea found the plastic figurines at a party store, and they fit well with their theme because they married on Halloween. These are great because they are cheap, easy (ya just stick it on top---done!), and show the couple's sense of humor / youthfulness. I dig that. A sense of humor is so important, and why not make cupcakes fun?? Even if you're not getting hitched on Halloween, there's no reason not to spruce up your foods with a little creativity.

One of these days Adam and I will seriously discuss the issue at hand: what the heezy do we serve for dessert?
Follow tradition and have a monstrous cake? 
Offer little cupcakes instead of slices of cake? 
Nix the cake-thing all together and offer ice cream sundaes?! 
Or maybe a cup of fruit?! 
Or how about we nix the dessert thing all together and offer Kashi granola?!? (kidding about the last option)

1 comment:

  1. have seen a groom's cake that was made out of doughnuts, and have had "apple pie" at a friends "barn" wedding (they were married by 15' tall puppets, so I think they kinda broke all the rules). Really liked the candy bar at another friends wedding..soo much fun with all the bright colors (not to mention candy necklaces and ring pops)

    ReplyDelete