Things and stuff about a couple of fiend'ancés planning a wedding.

May 26, 2010

Daisies, ladies, food and gifts...


So, my bridal shower is exactly one month away. Adam and I got to talking about this last night over dinner (which, by the way, was a delicious broiled haddock with rice pilaf and green beans, and yes, this is a shameless plug for The Grog in Newburyport)....

My Maid of Honor recently sent out the invitations for my bridal shower, and I was quite amused by the fact that I got one in the mail---how lucky I am to be invited to my own Bridal Shower! (lol, thanks Roomie!) Now that the invite is hanging up by our crowded calendar, I can't help but think about how crazy it is that my shining moment as Bride-To-Be is rapidly approaching.

Though I am excited and most appreciative to have a bridal shower thrown in my honor, it's kind of bizarre-feeling to be attending a big party that isn't celebrating my birth, but rather a once-in-a-lifetime status ("Bride-To-Be"); to be carrying out this long-time tradition not as a guest, but rather the "main event." Additionally, I have no part in planning this get-together---I just gotta wear a dress and show up!? Sounds easy enough, but that's almost all Type-B personality, and I'm much more of a mix of A and B.... ;o) I'm sure once the day comes it'll just be a whirlwind of fun....but thinking about it a month in advance has got me feeling a tad nervous. 

Is it because I'm not entirely sure what to expect? Am I worried about who will and won't be there? Am I too unconventional for such a traditional wedding pre-cursor? Will I react appropriately each time I open a present in front of dozens of women? I would love for all who attend this little shindig to have a good time and be glad they came, not feel obligated to go and begrudgingly buy a gift off of our registry....but there is absolutely no way to ensure such a thing, so do I just pretend everything is groovy? 

Adam thinks bridal showers are Hallmark'ized....and I have to agree with him a little on this one. After all, the tradition of showering the bride-to-be with gifts started long ago, but did NOT include lingerie with "Soon-To-Be Mrs. Fraser" printed in rhinestones on the butt. Bridal showers can have the tendency to get a little out of hand, what with the cheesy games and favors, the lengthy gift-opening process, and the amount of money one might spend renting a space and feeding lots of hungry women. 

Nevertheless, I appreciate the fact that the bridal shower is a long-standing tradition, and thankfully it is something that can be tailored and tinkered with; there are no rules chizzled in stone about how to conduct a bridal shower. To each his--uh, I mean her--own! 

It should be fun to  gab and laugh with all the ladies, and I'm pretty stoked that my mom, little sister, step-mom and bridesmaid Crystal are all able to fly out from California for this event. How lucky am I? Despite the minor anxiety I feel prepping for this bridal shower, I am truly grateful for my ever-loving M.O.H. and future mother-in-law who are hosting this little soirée in my honor. I feel loved and special....and lucky to be a bride-to-be (though you won't see me advertise that in a rhinestone encrusted, hot pink camisole)!

No comments:

Post a Comment