Things and stuff about a couple of fiend'ancés planning a wedding.

Jul 7, 2010

Las Flores

Florist: check!  (it's about time, I know...)

'Tis true, I had put off booking a florist long enough to make my mother-in-law-to-be gasp in horror...which later made me cry because I was fearful I had really effed up, and in the words of Modest Mouse, "truly missed the boat." Here we were in the middle of June and I had not yet booked a florist. For reasons unknown, I wasn't too worried about this reality and the procrastinator in me figured that it'd all fall into place last-minute, which was perfectly fine as long as there were actual flowers and not hand-picked weeds from the side of the road. I had faith that I'd stumble upon the answer...though I hadn't a CLUE what that answer would be. A professional florist that would cost me loads of money? Buying wholesale flowers from Costco or online and tackling yet another DIY project?? Bite the bullet and buy silk flowers from A.C. Moore in hopes of no one noticing the strangs of thread jutting out from various petals of felt-covered stems????

I'm a pretty outstanding procrastinator (which is what I learned best during my 4 years at UCSC), so again, I just wasn't worried about flowers for some reason. Why stress about a bunch o' flowers, right???

Well, when Adam's mom and grandmother showed GRAVE concern for my not yet having booked a florist, I became incredibly stressed. Just ask Adam--it was like a switch had been flipped and I experienced a minor panic attack and cried. I knew it was time to stop lollygaggin', and deep down inside I knew it wasn't too late to get flowers somewhere....but I think I was just a tad bit embarrassed. What kind of bride-to-be doesn't have her friggin' FLOWERS figured out just two months before her wedding????

So the very next day I referred to some notes I had jotted down back in January---back when  I was recently finished with graduate school and had no job, so time was plentiful and wedding planning happened every day (which has SO not been the case over the past few months, ha!). My faithful maid of honor, Jackie, helped me round up some details from two florists up in North Conway< New Hampshire and within a day and a half I had booked Adrien, The Faaaaabulous Florist of The Flower Drum! *huzzah* I must say, after talkin' with Adrien over the phone and paying my deposit, I felt ten times better. Knowing I had a florist to help make our day beautiful brought a sense of calming over me; how pleased I was to know someone else would be arranging bouquets and delivering fresh flowers to The Brass Heart Inn the day of the wedding. No stress!

Some "deets" (aka: details):
1. Adrien suggests the boutonnieres NOT be made out of gerber daisies because they tend to wilt in a rapid manner. While he has offered various options that go along with our color scheme, I'm trying to hunt down silk gerber daisies (that look real enough and aren't too humongous) so as to make the groom & groomsmen bouttonieres myself. What do guys care if their "flower pin" is a live flower or not? And technically, once picked and wrapped in sticky green florist tape, the flower is dead anyway. May as well make it fake... :o)

2. The price for four bridesmaid bouquets, two flower bouquets, and my bouquet isn't too bad...though I still need to figure out what the grand total will be once we add in the single stems for decorating the aisle and centerpieces. Many, MANY thanks to my faithful bridesmaid (once again!) for offering to help pay for the flowers, 50-50. SUCH an excellent gift idea, Roomie!!! *future maids of honor, take note!*

3. I'm drivin' up to meet with Adrien on the 29th of July. Yeah, seems kinda last minute, I know...and yeah, it probably is....But whatever, I have faith that this will all be fine. The florist knows that the only flower I want is the gerber daisy, and our colors are orange, yellow and green. Easy-peazy! They're JUST flowers, after all...why stress over pretty plantlife??? ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment